Last weekend I attended the annual Feb. NADAC trial hosted by ACAT at Latigo. The weather was cold and snowy most of the weekend. The people weren't too fond of it, but my pups loved it!! Mariah loves any weekend where she can go out in roll in the snow and Trek and Brisco had just as much fun. By Sunday there were decent snow drifts that were about as deep as Trek is tall! The pups would go bounding around, then sink up to their necks in snow. As far as agility goes, we had a fun weekend. I was chief course builder and had a great time setting courses for Dwayne Bonker. Mariah is 10.5 yrs old, but she was acting like a pup and ran great all weekend! She only ran in 9 runs, but went 8 for 9 with a few runs over 5 YPS and a tunnelers run at 6 YPS! She hasn't run that speed in awhile! Brisco didn't get as many Q's, but we did pick up 2 regular Q's and he had a tunnelers run at 8.37 YPS! That's the fastest yards per second he's ever run. Not bad for a 7 yr old! Since Brisco just turned 7 in January, I decided to enter him as a vet and let him jump 16". He loved it and I had a lot of fun running him at that height! At the end of the weekend, we left there quite happy and glad to be running agility again. We had most of Nov, Dec & Jan off, so it's good to get back in the groove. The drive home wasn't a lot of fun, but it was worth it. I've been continuing to train Trek in agility and flyball. His agility training is making progress. We had worked the dog walk and teeter for awhile and when I was trying to work jumps, he kept wanting to run across the field to do the dog walk. I had to take a step back and move 2 jumps away from everything else and work on his focus on me and the 2 jumps. He did really well and I've since added a 3rd jump and today added a 4th to start some box work. He's doing really well on reading front crosses and does ok on rear crosses, but we need more work on a rear cross turning him left. He's definitely a right turning dog! After a few minutes of jump work, I'll take him over to the teeter and A-frame and let him do a couple repetitions. He hasn't done much on the A-frame, but he thinks it's pretty cool and has great speed over it! His teeter is still a tad slow, but he's holding the contact nicely. We still have a long way to go, but we're making progress. His flyball training has been going pretty well. He can do full runs with a ball and is doing well when I'm in the runback. When Travis is back there, I think he gets too excited and drops the ball early. His turn has been pretty quick, so we'll continue to work on that to keep it clean and fast. Here's a video from some box work the second night we ran him with a ball in the box.The rest of my time is spent working (real work), making leashes and tugs and continuing to work on our home improvement projects. We finally finished the kitchen cabinet install and are starting on the trim work. They're coming out to measure for granite in a week, then it'll really come together! The bathrooms are getting torn up and we're looking at tile, sink and faucet options. We're hoping to make a decision on those soon so we can get them finished sooner rather than later. We also have had some guys working on a deck out back. We had them tear out 2 old decks that were really worn and they built a new frame for one large deck. Now all we have to do is put all the top boards down and it'll be done! It'll take awhile, but once it warms up, we should be able to make some good progress. Here's a picture of the new deck frame.
We're staying busy and since I have places to go, I better finish with this blog for now. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment