Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Flyball, Frisbee & Camping

The past month has been full of activity that included 2 flyball tournaments, 1 frisbee competition and a weekend in the Colorado mountains!


May 21-22nd we had a flyball tournament at The Ranch in Loveland. Brisco was a rock-star and ran mostly 4.3's all day. In the past, he used to run mostly 4.5's and it was super if he got a 4.3. Now he's consistently faster and he's even hitting 4.2's once in awhile! I think he's speeding up with Trek starting to race. He doesn't want to be the "slow dog". Mariah ran part-time and Brisco & Mariah's team ended up finishing 1st place in Reg. div 2 each day. Trek made his first Region 19 debut and raced full-time. He ran really well and didn't make a single mistake! We have to continue to work on his box turn, but he was running 4.0's passing. He ended the weekend with his FDCH and FDCH-S titles!


Memorial weekend we packed up the camper and drove out to camp on the Taylor River near Gunnison and Crested Butte. It was great to get out to the mountains! We spent time fly fishing in Gold Medal waters and even did some night fishing! We started fishing around 8:30pm as the sun was going down and fished until about 10:00pm by headlamp. I landed 4 fish that night and lost just as many! Way better than when I was fishing in the daylight. I think I found my new calling... night fishing! We also went out for a hike with my sister on one of the days. She's in the Air Force and is being stationed out of Colorado so this was her last weekend in the mountains for awhile. We went outside of Crested Butte and hiked for a few hours. There was still quite a bit of snow and we got a good workout in! The dogs had a blast as did the humans.


The first Saturday in June was the annual Ft. Collins UFO Frisbee competition. I was excited for this since Trek is pretty good at Frisbee and this would be his first competition. I entered all 3 dogs in Intermediate and Travis threw for all 3 in Novice. I did pretty well with Trek and made it to the top 10 for round 2. I was .5 out of the top 10 with Brisco, but I made it to the top 10 with a friend's dog Fritz. It was Trek & Fritz's first compteition and we made it to Rd 2! Fritz caught every throw in Rd. 2. My throws for Trek weren't quite as good in Rd 2, but Trek ended up 4th overall and Fritz 5th overall in Intermediate. Travis had much better luck with the pups! He made it to the top 10 with all 3 dogs! Trek had 12 pts in Rd 1 which was higher than any points in both Novice & Intermediate. In Rd. 2, Mariah was a bit of a goof, so she finished 10th. Brisco did pretty well and moved up to 4th overall and Trek and Travis rocked and held their 1st place lead! They ended the day with a plaque, medal and t-shirt. Good job boys! :)


This past weekend we had another flyball competition. This time it was our big RUFF in the Rockies tournament at Adams County. I was in charge of awards and made tug toys and tennis ball trophys. They took a LONG time to finish, but I think people liked them.

Once again, Brisco ran like a rock star! Travis had to miss the tournament due to work, but Kyle filled in and did an awesome job running him! We didn't have working displays so I don't know too many of his times, but I saw at least one 4.2 from him.

Mariah bobbled quite a bit, but she still ran ok and had a blast. We were stuck in a fast division on Sat. so we placed 4th, but Sun our division was closer matched and we took 1st! Trek raced with DEO all 3 days. This was his first time racing 3 days and other than his box turn, he ran great! He does really well running in a lineup and he's very well behaved in the lanes.

Coming up we have a NADAC trial, then a trip to Alaska with Trek and Brisco for flyball! We went up there 2 years ago and had a blast, so we decided to go back again this year. After AK, Trek will take a break from flyball racing so we can really focus on cleaning up his turn. He's so young that I want to get him back on track for a safe and fast turn. Before I know it, our July MDS NADAC trial will be here and we'll be having fun in Golden! Until then we'll do our best to stay cool and keep having fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment